Overview and Procedures
The Employer Match (EM) option is standard on the payment form, but is optional and may be turned off. The charity may also sign-up for a stand-alone Employer Match form.
Read more about managing your donation form or signing up for a EM Form in related articles above.
Employer Match allows your donor to easily request that his employer match his online gift.
More than 2,000 companies have signed up to participate in the matching program through our third-party provider Amply.
Typical processing steps
- Step 1: Donor opts into the employer match option on the donation form and completes required information. (Figure 1)
- Step 2: Donor and charity receive a donation comfirmation from GiveDirect and a followup email from Amply (or the donor's employer).
- Step 3: Both donor and charity must follow all instructions provided in the Amply follow-up email.
- Step 4: Credit card/e-check processing fees and EM fees for deducted from the original donation before payment to the charity.
- Step 5: Charity receives the matching donation directly from the employer.
Confirmation and Instructions
The donor will receive an email confirmation that GiveDirect has processed his payment. He will also receive an email from our partner, Amply, which will include simple, comprehensive instructions on how to complete the gift matching transaction. In most cases these instructions will direct the donor to his company's online, employee portal.
Note: It is important that the donor follow and complete the instructions provided in the Amply email for the charity to receive the matching gift.
The charity will also receive an email from our partner, Amply (giveamply.com), and/or the matching company. It is important that the charity respond to the verification email asking for basic information, such as address, 501c3 status, etc. Ignoring this request will result in delayed or missed matching gifts.
Once the process is successfully completed, you will receive a check directly from the donor's employer, not GiveDirect, therefore, a non-refundable processing fee of 15% will be deducted from the original gift.
Receipt of the matching gift may range between 30 and 120 days, depending on the employer's matching policies.
What is the cost of this service
- EM donations are charged the regular credit card or echeck processing fee(s) plus a 15% EM transaction fee.
- This fee covers all the back-end processing to secure the matchng gift.
- If the donor's gift does not qualify for the employer's matching program the fee will not be assessed.
- The processing fee is deducted from the original gift.
- The matching portion of the donation will be sent directly to the charity by the donor's employer, not through GiveDirect.
For additional information about processing fees see the related article button above.